
Me and Jess on the Saturday night before I went home for Christmas
So I haven't updated this blog for AGES and that is no good at all! Life is extremely busy over here at the moment, but this is more important than doing my epic amounts of homework - I cannot believe the workload this semester! I arrived back here on the 12th January and had a very quiet and very surreal week and a half - no one was around (I had the floor to myself entirely!), nothing was open so I had to live on microwave meals (which was probably healthier than what I normally have to eat from the cafeteria...) and I had lots to do paperwork wise, but not a lot else - it was nice in some ways, but sometimes I got a little bit lonely. During those weeks I went to the theatre with Janine to see 'Yankee Tavern' which was really good (although no one else thought so...) and I met up for lunch with Colin, and I had quite a few stage management related meetings, so I wasn't entirely rattling around on my own! I was ready for semester to start, but now it has started i want to go back to having not a lot to do! My classes this semester are good: Participatory Theatre involves playing a lot of games, which is fun and feels like a bit of a break compared to the rest of my life! The Penelope project involves a lot of sitting at home and researching, but i am getting to research about devising atm, which is quite interesting, so that is alright! Directing is A LOT of work (and that is an understatement...) and i am pretty sure i don't want to ever direct again, but it is kind of interesting most of the time - it will be better once we get on to practical work! Advanced Games and Improvisation is the most bittersweet class in the world - i hate it and love it at the same time. It's all about improv comedy, which i SUCK at, but the class itself is fun because everyone is trying to be funny, so it involves a lot of laughter! I will DIE if i have to perform in an improv comedy show, which i think is on the class sylabus... oh dear. The rest of my life is chock a block full of Stage Management for 'Our Town' - and oh my goodness, it is CRAZY. There is always so much to do, and there is never an end to the jobs, and sometimes people are difficult to organise - but its a challenge, and its fun, and i am embracing the opportunity to Stage Manage such a big production! With Stage Management, things get better and better as you get to know people in the cast and crew, and I can just tell that this show is going to get better and better! Rehearsals are going well so far (It's 'mime day' tonight lol - should be interesting) and i think it is going to be a good show! I am also doing some volunteering this semester (finally!) with First Stage. It is AWESOME, and the creative drama stuff they do is amazing, and it is so inspiring me for next year. I get to do lots of improvisation as a mouse and 'Dr Rocket' and the kids just are great - so unlike the unruly ones i worked with last year - they REALLY want to be there. I am working with 4-5year olds, and 8-9year olds, which is coool, so i get a really nice variety! It means getting up at 7am every Saturday morning, but it is worth it! I hadn't realised how much i have missed children's theatre until i started doing it again! In other news, i have an interview on Thursday for an internship during this semester (yes, i really am going to die of busy-ness), and i am thinking of applying to do an internship during the summer - they will be able to extend my visa for that, so that would be amazing. I am still in love with America and want to stay here for as long as possible - if I never had to move back to the UK, i would be happy! Unfortunately, needs must, and i have to finish my degree (and earn some money!) but next year is officially going to be hard. I like having lots of social stuff planned, like last weekend i met up with Meghan and we went out for soup, and then next weekend i am going to see the basketball with the internationals and me and Meghan are going to cook something on Sunday evening... I will really miss that side of my lifestyle here! Anyway, i better go now, i have lots of homework to do before rehearsals tonight!
Ciao ragazzi xx
No comments:
Post a Comment